Wednesday 29 September 2010

Textual Analysis 1: Flashbacks



SEE 1.09 - 1.40

This sequence, a "tribute" video to the popular TV show 'primeval', broadcast on ITV during the watershed, shows scenes from Episode 8 of Series 3 of Primeval, where the team find themselves in the future, fighting to survive an attack from "future beasts" and get back to the present day. You can see above that the mise en scene looks 'hot' and bleary, as well as post-apocalyptic. This use of edit reveals that they are not in the present day. This is something that will influence me as, during my flashback sequences, I want the audience to know that they are no longer in present time, but in the past. However, I didn't want to use black and white as the contrast of the colour to black and white wouldn't fit, so i wanted something 'post apocolyptic', not in the sense of bombed buildings and debris, but the use of the colour yellow, like in the sequence above. This will show the audience that it is the past, by being different and unconventional. I am also thinking of editing my flashback sequences in post-production to be sepia. However, I haven't fully set my idea on this and will have to be something that I test in post-production.

No comments:

Post a Comment